A building contractor has been fined £50,000 for ignoring asbestos safety rules after discovering the lethal material in the basement of Surrey school.
Buxton Building Contractors Ltd was carrying out refurbishment work at the independent Woldingham girls’ school in Caterham in 2011. It had commissioned a specialist survey to identify the presence of asbestos in the undercroft part of the building, but then failed to act when the results were positive.
The firm allowed a number of different contractors to work in the area until one worker raised the alarm himself when he broke through the ceiling and exposed asbestos insulation boarding.
The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the incident, which came to light on 21 July 2011. The contractor was in court yesterday (13 January).
Guildford Crown Court was told that Buxton Building Contractors Ltd was the principal contractor for a scheme to remodel the school’s dining area and kitchen. The firm had asked a surveyor to look specifically at the undercroft area as it had been omitted from an earlier asbestos report.
HSE’s investigation found the survey highlighted the presence of asbestos but Buxton failed to deal with it or provide any safeguards. It had allowed unrestricted access by a variety of other workers, including a 19-year-old apprentice electrician who had been working in the undercroft for at least two weeks.
After the worker discovered the presence of the asbestos insulation board, the area was sealed off by a licensed asbestos contractor.
Buxton Building Contractors Ltd, of High Street, Caterham, Surrey, was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay £26,217 after admitting a breach of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 by failing to plan, manage and properly monitor the construction work at the school.
After the hearing, HSE inspector Melvyn Stancliffe said: “This was a serious failing on the part of the company. Having correctly commissioned an asbestos survey, it looks as though no one at Buxton Contractors Ltd bothered to read it. Or if they did, they disregarded its contents and failed to act to protect site workers from exposure to what is one of the deadly killers in the construction industry.
“As a result, several people, including the young apprentice, were unnecessarily exposed to the risk of inhaling asbestos fibres. One can only wish and hope that there are no serious consequences for these workers in the future.
“It is vital that companies are fully aware of not just the duty to get an asbestos survey done, but then to act on its findings. There is considerable guidance freely available from HSE to assist duty-holders deal with asbestos materials properly.”
(Construction Index 14.01.14)